Before we decided to cut meat from our diet, we, like most people, LOVED bacon. We would eat it as often as we could. Whether it was for breakfast, in a sandwich or even in ice cream, we never passed up an opportunity. So when we decided to transition into this new healthier lifestyle, we had to find a way to substitute our favorite food. So far, this zucchini bacon is my favorite!
We tried the packaged vegetarian bacon, some call it “fakin’ bacon.” And while it wasn’t bad, it also wasn’t something that I could see myself eating regularly. So I went on the hunt for new options. I love that this one is made from veggies (something we can all use more of in our diet). And while this doesn’t taste like bacon (if I’m being completely honest), it does taste really good and has similar flavor.
The recipe is pretty simple. I do recommend marinating overnight if you are able to. Also, if you have a kitchen tool that easily slices veggies, use it! I tried to cut them by hand and they were all different sizes and shapes. If you can get them more consistent, you will find a good flow once they are baking and you’ll know how long to keep them in the oven.
For the full recipe, scroll down! This is great for sandwiches (stay tuned for our favorite Avocado sandwich this week). I would also eat this as a snack. I recommend making a big batch each time because of the amount of prep and cook time. Plus, once you start eating, it’s hard to stop.
- 2 Zucchini, thinly sliced
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- ½ TBSP liquid smoke
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Whisk together all ingredients (except zucchini).
- Place marinade in a sealable bag or container with lid and add slices of zucchini.
- Marinate zucchini for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place zucchini strips in a single layer.
- Bake for an hour, turn each slice over and repeat.
- When you have the desired consistency (soft or crunchy), remove from oven and enjoy!
Have you ever tried zucchini bacon or have another recipe you’d like to share? Comment below and let me know!
Thanks for reading! Don’t forget to comment, follow, and share!
▶ For collab inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
▶ Facebook: http://facebook.com/thesupermomlife
▶ Instagram: http://instagram.com/thesupermomlifeblog
▶ Twitter: https://twitter.com/thesupermomlife
▶ YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/TheSuperMomLife