These crispy, crunchy onion rings are covered in Doritos crumbs and since they are cooked in the air fryer, they don’t have the grease that typical onion rings have.
- 9.25oz bag of Doritos
- 1 cup flour, divided in half
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced and separated into rings
- Dipping sauce (we use Ranch Dressing)
- Place Doritos in a food processor and pulse until they are the same consistency as panko bread crumbs.
- Set out three bowls. Put half of the flour in one. Put half of the Doritos crumbs in another. Mix buttermilk and egg in the last bowl.
- Dip one of your onion rings into the buttermilk/egg mixture.
- Dip that same onion ring into the flour and then back into the buttermilk/egg mixture.
- Transfer the onion ring into the Doritos crumbs and make sure it’s coated.
- Place your Doritos-covered onion ring into your air fryer basket.
- Repeat until the basket is full of onion rings (one layer, not overlapping).
- Cook for 7 minutes on 360º (the time may vary depending on your air fryer so keep an eye on them).
- Repeat steps until all of your onion rings are cooked.
- Serve with dipping sauce (we use ranch dressing).