If you love apple crisp, you’ll love my trifle version! Layers of warm cinnamon and brown sugar apples, granola and pecan crumble, caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. It’s perfect for Fall or the holidays!
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 2–3 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp brown sugar
- caramel sauce
- vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Place all topping ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined and there are no lumps.
- Spread topping mixture on a baking sheet, in one flat layer.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove topping from the oven, stir and flatten into one layer. Put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove topping from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, combine all apple ingredients in a sauce pan and toss to coat.
- Cook on low-med for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until you reach the desired consistency.
- Move apples from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Once everything has cooled a bit, using small cups or trifle dishes, add one layer of apples.
- Top with a layer of crumble.
- Squeeze some caramel sauce on top.
- Top with another layer of apples.
- Top with another layer of crumble.
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Sprinkle some extra crumble on top and squeeze caramel sauce on ice cream.