A quick and easy cupcake recipe that is perfect for the holidays. A hint of peppermint is the perfect compliment for this soft and fluffy chocolate cupcake.
- 4oz semi-sweet baking chocolate squares, chopped
- 12 soft peppermint candies or 6 mini candy canes, crushed
- 15.25oz package of chocolate cake mix
- 3.9oz package of instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp peppermint extract (optional)
- 8oz frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Chop chocolate and crush peppermints/candy cane and set aside.
- Set the frozen whipped topping on the counter to allow to thaw.
- Put liners in your muffin pan and set aside.
- Using a standing mixer, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil and water (and peppermint extract should you choose to use it). Start on low speed for 30 seconds and then mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chopped chocolate and 4 tbsp peppermint pieces, by hand, until fully combined.
- Fill each cupcake liner with your batter (about 1/2 full).
- Bake for approx. 23 minutes. If you stick a toothpick into the center, it should come out dry if they are completely cooked.
- Let them cool in pan for 5 minutes and then transfer them to a cooling rack until they are completely cool.
- Place thawed whipped topping into a piping bag or decorator tool and ice the tops of each cooled cupcake.
- Sprinkle with the remaining crushed peppermints/candy canes.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 23 min