If you love the classic Hungarian Stuffed Cabbage, you’ll love the casserole version. All of the flavor you love, without all the work!
- 2lbs ground turkey (you can also use beef or pork)
- 1/2 Vidalia onion, diced
- 4–5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp hungarian (sweet) paprika
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 head of cabbage, chopped
- 14oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 lbs sauerkraut, mostly drained
- (2) 14oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups cooked rice
- In a skillet, over med-high heat, add meat, 1 tsp of salt, black pepper and garlic powder and brown until no longer pink.
- Add chopped onion and garlic, stir and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Core the cabbage and chop into 1 inch pieces. Add half of the cabbage to the bottom of your slow cooker, in an even layer.
- Add half of the meat on top of the cabbage, in an even layer.
- In a small dish, mix together the remaining spices (1 tsp each of salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Hungarian (sweet) paprika). Sprinkle half of the spice mixture on top of the meat, making sure to cover the whole layer of meat.
- Add diced tomatoes (with juice) on top of the spiced meat, in an even layer.
- Add the rest of the cabbage on top, in an even layer.
- Add the rest of the meat, in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the rest of the spice mix, making sure to cover the entire layer of meat.
- Add the sauerkraut in an even layer on top. I like to leave a little sauerkraut juice for added flavor.
- In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce and water until combined. Pour mixture on top of the sauerkraut.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before the food is ready, cook the white rice as you normally would. Then stir the ingredients in the crock pot so that everything is mixed well, cover and continue cooking.
- Serve immediately, with a side of rice.
You’ll need at least a 6qt slow cooker for this recipe. If you have anything smaller, you may want to adjust the ingredients accordingly.
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Hungarian
Keywords: hungarian stuffed cabbage, slow cooker, casserole