Everything you love about loaded baked potatoes, but in smashed form. This is the perfect potato side dish for the holidays or family dinners.
- 4 lbs red potatoes, cut into small chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup bacon, cooked
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup whipped chive cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- chopped fresh chives
- sour cream
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper
- Toss chopped potatoes in olive oil and spread evenly, in one layer, on your baking sheet
- Roast for 40 minutes
- Meanwhile, copy bacon into bitesized pieces and cook on the stove until crispy
- Once potatoes are golden brown and tender, remove from oven and lower to 350°
- Mash potatoes in a large bowl. It’s okay to leave them a little chunky
- Add sour cream, cream cheese, most of the bacon (just leave enough for garnish), black pepper, garlic and salt. Stir until combined.
- Transfer to a 9×13 baking dish
- Melt butter and drizzle over the top of the potatoes
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Top with a dollop of sour cream, fresh chives and leftover bacon and serve.
If you are making this the night before, you can turn off the oven after you remove the roasted potatoes. Before you melt the butter, cover the smashed potatoes and refrigerate until the following day. The rest of the steps will be the same, making sure that you bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes.