Looking for a change for your next taco night?! These delicious zucchini tempura tacos feature lightly battered zucchini, a cilantro-lime slaw, and cotija cheese.
Cilantro Lime Slaw:
- 1 12oz bag of coleslaw mix
- 1 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Taco Filling Ingredients:
- 2 zucchinis, sliced into 1/2 inch thick and 3 inch tall pieces
- 1 box of tempura batter mix (plus ingredients listed on box)
- vegetable oil
- cotija cheese
- corn tortillas or taco shells
- Place all of the cilantro-lime coleslaw ingredients into a large bowl. Mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate.
- Pour approximately 2 inches of oil into a deep pan and heat to 350º.
- Mix the tempura batter according to the instructions on the box.
- Coat zucchini pieces in batter (6 at a time). Fry in heated oil for 4 minutes, turning every minute or so until golden brown. Repeat with remaining pieces of zucchini.
- Place fried zucchini tempura in a bowl with a paper towel in the bottom. This will help drain any excess oil.
- Warm your tortillas or taco shells.
- Build your taco! Place one or two pieces of zucchini tempura in a warm tortilla, cover in slaw and sprinkle cotija cheese.