If you love moist cake with a rich, chocolatey flavor, you have to try this chocolate très leches cake!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 14oz can Nestlé® La Lechera® sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups heavy cream
- Maraschino cherries
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan and set aside.
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients (for the cake) in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients (for the cake), except for the espresso and water, with an electric mixer on med-high speed until combined.
- Slowly add in the dry mix and continue mixing until fully combined.
- Boil a cup of water and mix in the instant espresso powder.
- Add the cup of espresso and mix with a wooden spoon until combined and pour batter into your greased baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes. You will know that it’s done when you insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.
- Using a fork, poke holes throughout the hot cake. You’ll need enough holes that it can soak up all of the très leches.
- In a medium bowl, combine the three milks and cocoa powder and whisk until cocoa powder has dissolved. It will look similar to chocolate milk.
- Pour the très leches on top of the cake. It should seep into the cake’s holes. Set the cake aside and let cool for 30-45 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, mix the heavy cream on medium-high for a minute.
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and add half to the whipped cream
- Mix on med-high for another minute.
- Add the remaining mixture and mix on med-high for 3-4 minutes, until you get stiff peaks. Be careful not to over mix!
- Stick the chocolate whipped cream in the refrigerator for 10 minutes while the cake continues to cool a bit.
- Frost the cake with your chilled chocolate whipped cream and top with maraschino cherries and/or mini chocolate chips (optional).
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours.