This post is sponsored by La Lechera®.
Prepare yourself because I’m about to share my favorite cake of all time, chocolate très leches cake. If you love moist cake with a rich, chocolatey flavor, you have to try this one!
The first time I tried très leches cake was in the 90s. After that first bite, I don’t think I came up for air. I ate the whole piece in a matter of minutes and couldn’t believe I had deprived myself of something so delicious for so long.
Fast forward to five or so years ago my husband, who is Salvadoran and grew up eating très leches cake, and I discovered CHOCOLATE très leches cake! I had no idea that I could love the chocolate version even more than the traditional flavor but wow!
I loved this version so much that I began trying to find a good recipe to make it myself. A little over a year ago, I stumbled on a Chocolate Tres Leches Cake recipe on TheBestCakeRecipes.com. I fell in love with recipe because it was so easy to make and so incredibly delicious! I’ve made it a few times now, each time adapting it just a bit to our liking and today I’m finally sharing the recipe with you! The second I made it for my family they couldn’t stop talking about how great it was! My girls especially enjoyed it and it made me so happy that I was able to share my love for Très Leches Cake with them.
Tips When Making Chocolate Très Leches Cake
While this chocolate très leches cake is so easy to make, I do have a few helpful tips. You’ll want to poke holes in the cake when it comes out of the oven. Don’t worry if your fork messes up the cake a bit. You’ll be covering it all up with a thick layer of homemade chocolate whipped cream.
The most important thing I can stress to you when making this chocolate très leches cake, is that the quality of the ingredients will make all the difference! That’s why I only use Nestlé® La Lechera® condensed milk. It makes everyday desserts special! Nestlé La Lechera condensed milk has an authentic creamy taste, is made from only milk and sugar and contains nothing unnecessary and no artificial flavors. You can find Nestlé La Lechera at your local Publix in the canned milk aisle. Make sure to take advantage of the 2/$4 offer from 12/5/20 to 12/18/20 at Publix! It’s a great time to stock up!
I’ve tried to show the steps in photos above for you, to make it a bit easier.
Step 1: Dry ingredients for cake mix
Step 2: Wet ingredients for cake mix
Step 3: Cake batter mix w/ espresso
Step 4: Cake batter in baking pan
Step 5: Cooked cake
Step 6: Poking holes in the cake with a fork
Step 7: Cake with holes
Step 8: Très leches and cocoa powder
Step 9: Très leches poured on top of cake
Step 10: Heavy cream
Step 11: Powdered sugar and cocoa powder for chocolate whipped cream
Step 12: Chocolate whipped cream
Step 13: Chocolate whipped cream on top of cooled cake
Now that you know a little bit about our chocolate très leches cake, I’m excited to share the recipe.
Chocolate Très Leches CakePrint
If you love moist cake with a rich, chocolatey flavor, you have to try this chocolate très leches cake!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs (room temp)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 14oz can Nestlé® La Lechera® sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups heavy cream
- Maraschino cherries
- Mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°.
- Grease a 9×13 baking pan and set aside.
- Sift together all of the dry ingredients (for the cake) in a large bowl and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix remaining ingredients (for the cake), except for the espresso and water, with an electric mixer on med-high speed until combined.
- Slowly add in the dry mix and continue mixing until fully combined.
- Boil a cup of water and mix in the instant espresso powder.
- Add the cup of espresso and mix with a wooden spoon until combined and pour batter into your greased baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes. You will know that it’s done when you insert a toothpick into the center and it comes out clean.
- Using a fork, poke holes throughout the hot cake. You’ll need enough holes that it can soak up all of the très leches.
- In a medium bowl, combine the three milks and cocoa powder and whisk until cocoa powder has dissolved. It will look similar to chocolate milk.
- Pour the très leches on top of the cake. It should seep into the cake’s holes. Set the cake aside and let cool for 30-45 minutes.
- Using an electric mixer, mix the heavy cream on medium-high for a minute.
- Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and add half to the whipped cream
- Mix on med-high for another minute.
- Add the remaining mixture and mix on med-high for 3-4 minutes, until you get stiff peaks. Be careful not to over mix!
- Stick the chocolate whipped cream in the refrigerator for 10 minutes while the cake continues to cool a bit.
- Frost the cake with your chilled chocolate whipped cream and top with maraschino cherries and/or mini chocolate chips (optional).
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1-2 hours.
Have you ever tried très leches cake before?
If you try this chocolate très leches cake recipe, we’d love to hear your thoughts. If you post it on social media, we’d love for you to tag @thesupermomlife! Don’t forget to check out all of our family friendly recipes!