Also often referred to as “Health Salad”, Claremont salad is a blend of sliced veggies, soaked in a vinaigrette dressing. It is perfect as a side dish but is good enough to be eaten for a meal.
- 1 head of cabbage, sliced thinly
- 1 large cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1 green pepper, sliced thinly
- 2 large carrots, sliced thinly
- 4 stalks of celery, sliced thinly
- 1 vidalia onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cups white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, pureed
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Prepare a large container with a lid.
- Quarter the cabbage and remove the core. Slice cabbage into thin strips. Place into the container.
- Slice the onion, green pepper, carrots and celery into thin strips. Add into the container.
- Peel the cucumber. Slice in half, lengthwise and chop into half circles. Add into the container.
- In a medium bowl, mince the garlic, add a bit of salt and mash until it’s a puree.
- Add vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and pepper and whisk until combined.
- Pour dressing over the vegetables, stir and cover. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours, stirring a few times throughout the day.