As close to our old family recipe as we could get. This potato kugel is the perfect side dish and can be made with slightly different ingredients to make it kosher for Passover.
- 6 Idaho Potatoes (grated)
- 1 Onion (grated)
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 4 tbsp Matzo Meal (or flour if you’re not making it for Passover)
- 1 tsp Baking Power (leave this out during Passover)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 5 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Scallions/Chives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Peel and grate potatoes. Keep them in water to keep them from turning brown.
- Put grated potatoes into a cheese cloth and squeeze out water.
- Grate onion and add to bowl of potatoes.
- Beat 2 eggs and add to bowl of potato mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients (set aside one tbsp of oil) and stir until blended together.
- Add mixture into 1.5 quart greased baking dish.
- Drizzle extra tbsp of oil on top. This will help it brown better.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.
- Lower to 375 and bake for 55-60 minutes more.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Cut into servings and top with sour cream and chives if desired.