1 135 46
Being forced to stay home for the next who knows how long, is not going to stop us from celebrating the seasons and the various holidays that keep my kids looking forward to traditions like homemade baked goods and fun little crafts. And although there seems to be a huge shortage of all-purpose flour, luckily we had enough in our pantry to create these delicious baked double chocolate chip donuts with fresh banana icing for Spring or Easter!
If you read our baked red velvet donut post, you know that I had been using a mini fluted cake pan that I thought was a donut pan. While they still turned out amazing, they were much larger than an actual donut and so we had to use more batter, which led to less “donuts”.
I recently found this set of non-stick donut pans on Amazon and they are really amazing. I didn’t even need to grease them! The donuts basically slid right out once they were cool and the price was very affordable!
Why baked? Well, if we can make something that is delicious but not fried, why not?! They are basically little individual cakes with a hole in the center, but they are always a hit in my house! And this newest flavor, baked double chocolate chip donut with fresh banana icing, is going to make regular appearances here for sure!
I had been working on a really moist, chocolatey donut recipe for a bit. I have tried so many different versions and they just aren’t chocolatey enough for our taste. By adding espresso powder and mini chocolate chips to the basic chocolate donut recipe I was working with, it changed the game. It’s very important to use mini chocolate chips because they give it just the right amount of gooey chocolate throughout the donut. Regular sized chips may just be too much chocolate for most people.
I took a family poll to figure out which flavor of icing would be both delicious and appropriate for Spring and Easter and banana seemed to be the winner. The combination was a hit, so much so that we made these baked double chocolate chip donuts with fresh banana icing twice last week. Yum! The best part about the icing is that it makes enough for two batches! Make sure to refrigerate it and set it out on the counter the morning you plan on using it again. Room temperature icing spreads so much easier!
Baked Double Chocolate Chip Donuts with Fresh Banana IcingPrint
These may be the most chocolatey and moist donuts you've ever tasted. Topped with fresh banana icing, your taste buds will thank you!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup buttermilk (room temp)
- 1 egg (room temp)
- ½ cup coffee (room temp)
- ½ tsp espresso powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup butter (melted)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (semi sweet)
- 1 large very ripe banana (mashed)
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
- ¼ cup butter (room temp)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease donut pan and set aside.
- Prepare coffee, add espresso powder and stir. Set aside.
- Melt butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk until combined and there are no lumps. Add chocolate chips and stir.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, egg, vanilla extract and coffee. It should resemble iced coffee.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir just until they are combined. Don't over stir!
- Stir in melted butter, again, just until they are combined. Don't over stir!
- Spoon or pipe batter into greased donut pan. Each should be no more than ¾ full.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. If you insert a toothpick, it should come out clean.
- Let donuts cool, in the pan for 10-15 minutes and then remove from the pan, allowing them to cool on a bake rack for an additional 10 minutes, or until fully cooled.
- In a small bowl, mash banana and mix in lemon juice and yellow food coloring (that's optional).
- Cream butter with 1 cup of powdered sugar and vanilla with electric mixer.
- Add banana mixture and remaining powdered sugar and mix until combined. Don't over mix.
- By now, the donuts should be completely cool. Spread icing on each donut and top with sprinkles if you prefer.
- Category: Dessert, Snack
I decided to top our baked double chocolate chip donuts with fresh banana icing with fun, spring themed, pastel sprinkles. The kids love how colorful and fun they are, but they are completely optional. The donuts will taste just as good without them.
We really hope you enjoy this recipe! Make sure to check out all of our family friendly recipes. If you make them and share a picture on social media, don’t forget to tag us! We can’t wait to hear what you think!