I’ve never been a spicy food fan, but give me a buffalo chicken wing with some ranch dressing to dip it in, and I’m all over that! Something about the creamy dressing that cools down my mouth… it’s everything. So when I originally heard people talking about buffalo chicken dip, I was immediately intrigued.
Imagine taking those buffalo chicken wings and ranch dressing and combining them with a bunch of creamy cheese. You can scoop it up with celery sticks, tortilla chips, or anything else you love. It’s honestly so good, I can eat it with a fork, all by itself. It’s the appetizer you never knew you needed, until now.
Can I use blue cheese dressing instead of ranch?
What if I like my buffalo chicken dip spicier?
Do you have a hot sauce favorite?
While I’m no expert, my kids love spicy food and prefer Frank’s Redhot Original Red Hot Sauce. It’s not super spicy for me and gives it a nice kick!
How long can this buffalo chicken dip sit out?
I wouldn’t leave it at room temperature for longer than a couple of hours. You can always refrigerate it and then reheat when you are ready to serve your leftovers.
Can I freeze this buffalo chicken dip?
Yes! Just add to a sealable, freezer-safe container. It should keep in the freezer for up to 2 months. When you are ready to serve it, just thaw it out in the refrigerator first and then warm it up.
My buffalo chicken dip is a bit oily, is that normal?
Yes. That is totally normal as the ingredients separate a bit when cooking. You can mix it or dab it a bit before serving.
Can I make this buffalo chicken dip in the slow cooker?
Yes! Just add all ingredients to your slow cooker and mix to combine. Cook on high for one hour or low for two, stirring occassionally. You may want to double the ingredients, depending on how big your slow cooker is. Keep in mind that this won’t give you the bubbly, golden brown cheese that our recipe gives you.
Do I need to add salt?
Don’t forget that cream cheese is salty. Likely, the chicken was also seasoned. I would leave the salt out and if you find once it’s finished that it needs it, add a bit at that stage.
The steps in the photos above, show exactly how I make this yummy buffalo chicken dip.
Step 1: Chop up the chicken, cheese, and scallions and get your ingredients ready. (note: this photo is missing the cream cheese).
Step 2: Place the cream cheese, ranch, and hot sauce in a pan and heat over low-medium heat until smooth and creamy.
Step 3: This is what your sauce will look at when it’s ready. Remove it from the heat.
Step 4: Add in the chicken, scallions, and 1/2 of the cheese and mix until combined.
Step 5: The mixture should look like this.
Step 6: Transfer to a square baking dish.
Step 7: Top with the rest of the cheese.
Step 8: Bake for 25 minutes. Broil for 2-3 minutes and let sit for a few before serving.
Now that you know a little bit about this buffalo chicken dip, I’m excited to share our recipe.
buffalo chicken dipPrint
The bold flavor of buffalo chicken wings in a creamy dip. It’s the appetizer you never knew you needed, until now.
- 2 skinless rotisserie chicken breasts, chopped
- 4oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup hot sauce (more if you prefer it spicy)
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup colby jack cheese cubes, divided
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese cubes, divided
- celery sticks (for dipping)
- Preheat the oven to 350º and spray a square baking dish with some sort of cooking spray (we love avocado oil).
- Add cream cheese, ranch dressing and hot sauce to a sauce pan and heat over medium-low heat, whisking constantly until it’s completely combined and smooth.
- Remove the sauce from heat and add the chicken, scallions and 1/4 cup of each cheese. Mix until combined and transfer to the prepped baking dish.
- Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn the oven on broil and cook for 2 more minutes, or until the cheese on top is bubbly and golden brown. Remove from the oven and let sit for a few minutes.
- Serve with celery sticks.
If you make our buffalo chicken dip, we’d love to hear your thoughts. If you post it on social media, we’d love for you to tag @thesupermomlife! Don’t forget to check out all of our favorite cookie recipes and other family-friendly recipes!