2 140 72
It’s National Crayon Day! And while we could have just colored in the girls new coloring books, or melted crayon pieces into fun shapes, the girls and I decided to create some melted crayon art because… why not?! It was fun, inexpensive and kept us all oohing and aahing. Best part is, we have a beautiful finished product that will hang in the girl’s bedroom!
SUPPLIES YOU’LL NEED FOR MELTED CRAYON ART
- Crayons (you choose your colors – quantity will depend on how large your canvas is)
- Hair Dryer
- Hot Glue Gun
- Newspaper, Tissue Paper or Tarp
- Cover your workspace with something that you don’t mind getting melted wax on (newspaper, tissue paper, tarp, etc). The wax max splash, so cover the floor as well.
- Hot glue each of the crayons, in the order you’d like them to melt. I made sure that “Crayola” was showing on each and that they were evenly lined up, to make the finished art look organized, but you can do it how you’d like. You can peel the crayons as well, but I’m not 100% sure they will stick to the canvas without the paper. The hot glue may just melt right through the crayon.
- Once you’ve glued all the crayons onto the canvas, you’ll want to prop the canvas up. You can use an easel if you have one. I just propped ours against a heavy cardboard box and it worked just fine. Now it’s time to create your melted crayon art!
- Holding the hair dryer straight up and down, and on it’s highest, hottest setting, hold the hair dryer directly over the crayons. Hold it over 4-5 at a time and then once they start melting, move over to the next.
- Continue to do this over and over again until you’ve gotten the desired look. We chose to do a little at a time to make a more layered, textured look.
- Allow the art to dry.
Check Out How We Did it:
Have you ever created anything out of melted crayons? We’d love to hear about it in the comments below! Check out all of our family friendly projects and crafts!
*This post may contain affiliate links which means that if you click them and purchase something, our family may receive a small commission. We appreciate your support!