Ready for another St. Patrick’s Day craft?! I recently had a number of people asking us to create a leprechaun trap. While there are so many intricate options that could take hours to put together, I wanted to provide a quick and easy alternative for us Moms that don’t always have lots of time to devote to crafts. If this sounds like you, this leprechaun trap is perfect!
My teen drew a super cute leprechaun trap image and a ladder. Just print it out for your little ones and have them color it in using crayons, colored pencils, or markers. If you’re feeling extra, they can even use watercolors. It’s totally up to you and allows your kids to get super creative with their leprechaun trap.
What is a leprechaun trap?
According to Wikipedia, a leprechaun trap is a craft used by families with small children, to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Leprechaun trapping can be compared to leaving cookies out for Santa Claus on Christmas Eve.
Legend says that if you entice a leprechaun with gold coins, you can catch one. Though I can’t guarantee that you will since leprechauns are apparently sneaky and quick and may not fall for this.
Just put out your trap the night before St. Paddy’s Day and wait. I’ve heard that leprechauns leave footprints or shamrocks behind if they’ve been in your home. So keep an eye out!
Even if you don’t catch a leprechaun, a leprechaun trap is a fun craft idea and activity for your little ones that they will enjoy making for years to come.
How to Make a Leprechaun Trap
- Free printable leprechaun trap
- Paper Bag
- Tape (double-sided works best) or glue
- Colored pencils, crayons, or markers
Ready to Put it Together?
- Print out your free printable leprechaun trap. I like to print ours on card stock so that it’s more stable, but you can also use regular paper. Make sure that your printer settings say “actual size” so that the template pieces print out in the correct size.
- Have your kids color in both the free gold here area and the ladder.
- Cut out both pieces. If you are making this with a smaller kid, please use safety scissors or cut it out for them.
- Put a piece of tape (or glue) at the top and bottom of the free gold here area.
- Secure it to the front of the bag. The bag should be right side up with the bottom piece folded on the bottom, so you are taping on one smooth surface.
- Put a piece of tape on the backside of the top of the ladder and tape it to the side of the bag. You’ll want to make sure that the bottom of the ladder reaches the table so the leprechaun can reach it 🙂
Free Printable Leprechaun Trap
It’s easy to download. Just click “free printable leprechaun trap” and enter your email. You’ll immediately receive an email with a link to the printable. I recommend printing it immediately and also saving it to your computer so you can print it out again on a later day.