This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Are you looking for a dessert idea that is equally as easy to make as it is delicious?! We have found something so good, we had to share. It’s the perfect Summer treat! Read on for the full recipe!
Summertime in our house is a time to learn new things. My teenager has decided that this year, she wants to learn to bake. So, we printed out a number of recipes, picked up some ingredients and I braced myself for the sugar-fest that was about to happen. I had no idea that her little plan would lead to discovering our new favorite dessert, ice cream sandwiches using no bake cookies.
Her first dessert was a vegan chocolate cake with a chocolate + avocado icing. It was a pretty gutsy recipe for her first baking experience, but I have to be honest, it was really good. Problem is, when she realized that it takes a really long time to make, bake and then cool before you can frost, she basically gave up on trying to bake anything else. If it’s not ready quickly, she wanted nothing to do with it. What good is chocolate cake if you can’t eat it right away?! Right?
So at the risk of having her eat batter out of a bowl all summer, I was on the hunt for something fast. A couple of days later, I came across a video on FB for no bake cookies. As my Nana would yell often, “BINGO!” No baking meant no long wait times and we happened to have everything we needed in the house. Imagine a peanut butter cup with oats. I might even be as bold as to call it more of a candy bar than a cookie.
Her first batch came out really good. She brought them to camp and everyone loved them. The 2nd time around, they came out even better (if that’s possible). I knew they wouldn’t last long, so yesterday, I grabbed them to take some pictures. Without proof it never happened, right? I had to document her yummy creation before it was nothing but a distant memory.
While I was snapping, she suggested that I make them into ice cream sandwiches. GENIUS! Luckily, we had some chocolate chip ice cream in the freezer. I took out our small scooper and voila! The ice cream was such a good combination with the rich, chocolate and peanut butter cookies. Of course we couldn’t end it there. We took it a step further and rolled it in rainbow sprinkles to give it a little color. Rainbows make everything better. Just think about all of the possibilities you could create, just by changing the ice cream flavor.
Imagine banana ice cream rolled in chocolate chips? How about coconut ice cream with shaved coconut and chocolate on the sides? What about chocolate ice cream rolled in chopped peanuts?
- ½ cup salted butter, cut into Tablespoon-sized pieces
- 1 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup almond milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups instant oats
- Scoop of ice cream (any flavor)
- Sprinkles or chocolate chips for decoration (optional)
- Cover two cookie sheets with wax or parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine butter, milk, both sugars and cocoa powder in a medium-sized saucepan over low heat.
- Stir ingredients frequently with a wooden spoon until butter is completely melted.
- Increase heat to medium and, stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
- Boil, still stirring constantly, for 1 minute and then remove from heat.
- Continue to stir the mixture for several seconds.
- Add peanut butter and vanilla extract, stirring until peanut butter is completely combined and melted into the mixture.
- Add oats and stir until coated in chocolate.
- Use a small scoop and drop a scoop of mixture onto prepared cookie sheets until all mixture has been used.
- Place cookie sheets in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Once cookies are cool, using a small scoop, add a small scoop of your favorite ice cream to the center of one of the cookies (flat side).
- Use a second cookie and place on top of the ice cream, gently pressing down.
- Roll in sprinkles or chocolate chips (or both if you’re feeling festive) and enjoy!
What type of ice cream and topping would you use? Comment below and let us know!
Don’t forget to pin for later >>