Celebrate this St. Patricks Day With Green Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
We knew we had to make these mint chocolate chip cookies again for St. Patrick’s Day, but this time, to share with our readers! This simple mint chocolate chip cookie recipe is sure to be a hit for any St. Patty’s Day party, so let’s dive right into this pot of minty gold…
Mint Chocolate Chip – World’s Best Flavor Combo?
Mint chocolate chip… it’s one of our family’s favorite flavor combinations! You will often find mint chocolate chip ice cream in our freezer because it’s one of the only flavors that my whole family can agree on. So when we were baking cookies for our neighbors this year, we wanted to try something new. These simple mint chocolate chip cookies were a huge hit! They aren’t super minty but do have the perfect amount (this, of course, can be adjusted based on your taste).
This mint chocolate chip cookie recipe is so easy, you won’t believe it! While you can make these mint chocolate chip cookies from scratch, I took a little shortcut this time around by using sugar cookie mix from our grocery store’s cookie and cake mix aisle. Let’s face it… us Moms don’t always have hours to bake and sometimes we want to look like we spent the time, even though we had to cut a few corners to get there. Plus, I know I can use a time saver amongst all my other preparations for Saint Patricks’ Day.
One of the things we found fun about this mint chocolate chip recipe was that the scoops of dough, on the cookie sheet look a lot like mint chocolate chip ice cream. My kids initially thought I was baking ice cream. Hilarious.
St. Patrick’s Day Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Simple Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 17.5 oz pouch sugar cookie mix
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 10 drops green food coloring
- 1 pkg creme de menthe candies chopped
- Chocolate dark and/or white
- Decorations sprinkles, edible stars, etc.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine cookie mix, butter, egg, mint extract and food coloring.
- Use a mixer to mix until soft dough forms.
- Stir in creme de menthe candies.
- Using a small scoop or teaspoon, drop dough 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 minutes.
- Cool 5 minutes and then place on cooling rack until completely cool.
- Melt chocolate (dark or white) and dip each cookie, placing them on parchment paper.
- Decorate with sprinkles and/or edible stars.
Our Leprechaun Inspired Cookie Decorations
To make things a little more exciting, we decided to decorate our favorite mint chocolate chip cookies, in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. Rainbow and gold were the first things that came to mind. So my daughter’s and I came up with three different options for our St. Patrick’s Day cookie decorations and turned it into a little contest, to see which one would be most popular.
I won’t tell you who came up with which option, but we’d love to hear which of the three you like the best. We have dark chocolate dipped mint chocolate chip cookie with rainbow sprinkles and edible gold stars, green chocolate dipped mint chocolate chip cookie with edible gold stars and dark chocolate drizzle and white chocolate dipped mint chocolate chip cookie with rainbow sprinkles and dark chocolate drizzle. Comment below and let us know which you’d prefer!
Don’t forget to check out leprechaun bait, our easy St. Patrick’s Day gift idea for your kid’s class!