This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
This one is for the people who love an easy recipe. These cookies are green(ish), packed with rainbow m&ms and chocolate chips, and are perfect for St. Paddy’s Day! All you need are six ingredients to make these easy St. Patrick’s Day cookies.
If you are running short on time and need a quick and delicious treat for St. Patrick’s Day, you’ve found the perfect recipe! I made them extra large too, so they are big enough to share with a friend (or keep it all to yourself).
Can I use any type of chocolate chip cookie mix?
Absolutely! We chose Betty Crocker because it’s inexpensive and tastes great. If you choose another brand, just make sure that you use whatever the package requires (vs. egg and butter) and adjust the baking temperature and time according to that package. The rest of the recipe will stay the same.
What is the easiest way to soften butter?
I leave mine out of the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Then, I put it in the microwave (with the paper wrapping) for 15 seconds and smush it a bit with my hands. It’s usually perfectly softened that way.
Do I have to use the green food coloring?
No! You can leave them without the food coloring if you’d like. The food coloring doesn’t change the flavor at all, so leaving it out won’t change anything but the color of the cookie.
Can I use green food dye instead of gel food coloring?
I prefer to use gel food coloring (it also happens to be all we had in the house), but you can definitely use food dye. You’ll have to measure it by eye until you reach the green color you’d like.
What size scoop do I need for these giant cookies?
You are going to want to find an extra large scoop for these easy St. Patrick’s Day cookies. If you don’t mind the cookies being on the smaller size, you can use a smaller scoop.
Can I use a regular sized baking sheet?
You will need a large baking sheet in order to fit four the giant cookies. If you use a smaller baking sheet, you may not be able to fit as many on the baking sheet each time.
Now that I’ve hopefully answered all of your questions about these easy St. Patrick’s Day cookies, let’s talk about the ingredients and the recipe!
I’ve tried to show the steps in the photos above for you, to make it a bit easier to make these easy St. Patrick’s Day cookies.
- Put the regular-sized m&ms in a resealable bag and crush them a bit.
- Place the cookie mix, softened butter, and egg in a large bowl.
- Mix just until combined.
- Add green food coloring and mix until the cookie batter is green.
- Add the crushed m&ms and mini m&ms.
- Stir until m&ms are evenly distributed throughout the batter.
- Using a large scoop, add four scoops of cookie batter on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Top with additional mini m&ms.
- Bake at 350º for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with additional mini m&ms.
- Return to the oven for two more minutes.
easy St. Patrick’s Day cookiesPrint
These giant green cookies are packed with chocolate chips and two sizes of m&ms. They are super easy St. Patrick’s Day cookies.
- Betty Crocker chocolate chip mix
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 3/4 cup regular m&ms
- 1 cup mini m&ms, divided
- green food coloring (the amount will depend on how dark you want them)
- Preheat the oven to 350º and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the regular-sized m&ms in a resealable bag and with the bottom of a cup, crush them into smaller pieces. Set aside.
- Stir cookie mix, softened butter, and egg in a medium bowl just until dough forms.
- Add green food coloring and stir to combine.
- Add 3/4 cup of both size m&ms and stir until they are evenly distributed.
- With the large scoop, place four scoops of cookie batter onto your parchment paper-lined baking sheet, leaving enough space in between each, so they can spread out.
- Add additional mini m&ms to the top of each scoop and press them down into the cookie batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven, top with more mini m&ms, and put back into the oven for 2 more minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes before removing them to a cooling rack.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 17 min
If you try our easy St. Patrick’s Day cookies, we’d love to hear your thoughts. If you take a picture or share it on social media, don’t forget to tag us! Don’t forget to check out all of our St. Patrick’s Day recipes!