This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Halloween is one of our family’s favorite holidays! We love decorating, dressing up, participating in our Halloween traditions and most of all, creating spooky treats. This year, Super Dad was the mastermind behind our first fun Halloween dessert of the year… Trick or Treat cupcakes, filled with either slime or rainbow sprinkles. Depending on which one you get, you either get the trick or the treat (though the slime is actually made of french vanilla pudding, which is pretty treat-worthy if you ask me).
While the recipe for these Halloween cupcakes might be long, I can assure you that these were easy to make. The chocolate cupcakes are moist, super chocolatey, but not super sweet. The sweet frosting is the perfect balance and was a huge hit with my kids and their friends! What’s most fun about these trick or treat cupcakes is that you can make them your own. Use different fillings, change the color of the slime and the frosting and decorate with just about anything you want. They can also be a great base recipe for other holiday cupcakes. Maybe a peppermint flavored ganache filling for the holidays? The options are really endless.
Make sure to mix them up so people are surprised when they take a bite! You can add gummy worms or candy eyes to the slime to make it even more spooky and fun for the kids. Instead of sprinkles, you can add edible glitter as well.
My kids went crazy for these. Especially my youngest daughter, who is 6. I loved listening to her from the other room when she took a bite and discovered that she got the trick cupcake and yelled, “I’ve been slimed!” It was adorable and the perfect reaction.
Do you think these will be a hit in your home? Let us know below! And if you happen to make them, make sure to post on social media and tag us so we can see.
Now, I’m excited to share the recipe for our Halloween trick or treat cupcakes. If you do make them, I’d love for you to share a photo and tag us on social media or comment below and let me know what you think. We love feedback from our readers!
Don’t forget to check out our other family friendly recipes.
Halloween Trick or Treat Cupcakes Featuring Slime and SprinklesPrint
The perfect treat for your next Halloween gathering. Cupcakes will be filled with either sprinkles (treat) or slime (trick).
- ¾ cup butter (room temperature)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 15 Oreo cookies
- purple or orange dye or gel
- 1 pkg french vanilla pudding mix
- green dye or gel
- rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line cupcake pans with liners. You’ll need 24.
- Add buttter, granulated sugar and brown sugar to a bowl. You’ll want to use the paddle attachment for your mixer, if you have one.
- Beat together on med-high until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each one.
- Add vanilla extract and mix.
- In a separate bowl, whisk togehter chocolate milk, sour cream and water.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- With mixer running on low, add ¼ of the sifted flour mix.
- Once the flour has been mixed in, add ⅓ of the liquid mix.
- Once that’s been mixed in, add ¼ of the sifted flour. Repeat until all ingredients are in the bowl.
- Finish by scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix by hand.
- Scoop batter into each cupcake liner. You’ll want to fill it somewhere between ½ and ¾.
- Bake for 20 minutes and cool completely.
- Once cooled, use a cupcake corer to remove the center of each cupcake.
- Fill half with “slime” and the other half with rainbow sprinkles.
- Replace the top of each cupcake center and add frosting on top.
- Decorate as desired. I used candy eyeballs.
- Place Oreos (with creme center) in a food processor and pulse until they are chopped fine.
- Beat butter in a mixer until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and heavy cream and mix on med-low until combined.
- Mix on high and whip until fluffy.
- Add Oreos and combine by hand.
- Make according to package and add green dye or gel. Refrigerate.
- Category: Dessert
*This post may also contain affiliate links. This means if you click on any of them and make a purchase, our family may receive a small commission. As always, we appreciate your support!