This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
If you’re looking for a fun and easy craft idea this 4th of July, check out the American flag wreath that our teenager, Lucia, made this year. With supplies you can easily pick up at any local craft store, you can create this adorable wreath to hang on your door or give as a gift!
Bring it out on Labor Day, Memorial Day, or any day you are feeling patriotic!
Supplies You’ll Need
Wire Wreath Frame (we chose 12″)
Clothespins (approx. 73, depending on the size of the wreath frame size)
Wooden Stars (depends on how many you want to add)
Spray Paint, Red
Spray Paint, Blue
Spray Paint, White
Hot Glue Gun
Step By Step Tutorial
- Head outside and put down a tarp, or painters cloth, to protect the ground/grass.
- Spray paint the wire wreath frame. It’s up to you what color you want to spray it. You can also leave it the color it is, if you prefer.
- Figure out how many of each color clothespins you’ll need and separate them.
- Take the first bunch of clothespins, clip them to a cardboard box, upright.
- Make sure to spray with the wind so the spray paint doesn’t hit you in the face (this may or may not have happened to us).
- Spray the first bunch of clothespins and then set aside.
- Repeat for the next two bunches of clothespins.
- You can either spray paint or hand paint the wooden stars, white.
- Let wreath frame, clothespins and stars dry fully.
- Clip the clothespins to the wreath, one by one. You’ll want to get them as close together as possible.
- We chose to clip 4 red and 4 white to make each stripe. This is completely up to your discretion.
- Hot glue each star to the blue section of the wreath. Choose how many you want to add. In our case, we wanted to add 50 but we ran out of space.
If you create one of these, we’d love to see it! Don’t forget to post a picture and tag us!
Do you decorate for July 4th? Comment below and share your favorite decor piece.
Looking for more DIY and craft ideas? Click here for more!