When it comes to appetizers to enjoy during a football game, most people go for the same ol’ things. There’s only so much pizza and chicken wings you can eat, am I right?! So, what do you do when you want to add a little kick to your appetizers on game day? I’m all about taking traditional recipes and giving them a fun twist. I’m about to share two of my favorite recipes with you, but you might be surprised by the secret ingredient… horseradish.
Not just any horseradish either. Our family loves Silver Spring! You won’t believe the number of flavors and options they have. Just a little bit added to your dishes bring the flavor to life.
Two of my favorite flavors are Silver Spring Applewood Smoked Horseradish Sauce and Silver Spring Horseradish Sauce. They can be used in so many different dishes just to give your food some extra zing. I also love their Silver Spring Dijon Mustard. It’s perfect for shrimp scampi.
If you haven’t tried their line of sauces, you need to asap. It’s amazing how many different ways you can use them to give your dishes a little kick. What better time to do that, then for game day?
A sassy twist on the classic deviled eggs. Every bite has a little kick to it. These sassy deviled eggs are perfect for game day!
- 12 large eggs
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Silver Spring Horseradish Sauce
- Paprika, optional
- Hard boil the eggs by placing them in a medium pot, covered with water and bring to a boil over high heat for five minutes and then remove from heat.
- Allow eggs to sit for 15 minutes, drain water and cool.
- Once eggs are completely cooled, peel and cut each one in half.
- Scoop out yolks into a bowl, setting aside egg whites and smash the yolks until all chunks are gone.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard and horseradish sauce to the egg yolks and mix well.
- Pipe the mixture into the egg white holes with a piping bag or you can scoop it with a small scoop or spoon.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of paprika or refrigerate overnight and serve the next day.
Fun fact.. this was actually the first type of hummus I’ve ever made. I love the store bought version, but it always tends to lack flavor. I love this one because it’s perfect to dip chips or veggies in. But it’s so good you might find yourself eating it with a spoon. I know I got caught doing it a few times while I was making it. Luckily there was enough left for kick off. It was a big hit!
Just when you think hummus couldn’t get any tastier, this applewood smoked hummus has a kick of horseradish, for flavor in every single bite.
- 1 – 14 oz can of organic chickpeas
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp tahini paste
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/8 Water (as needed for desired consistency)
- 2 Tbsp Silver Spring Applewood Smoked Horseradish Sauce
- Paprika, optional
- Cayenne Pepper, optional
- Add chickpeas, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, tahini paste and sea salt into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add water as needed for desired thickness.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix in horseradish sauce. Use a bit more if you’re looking for more of a kick.
- If you want to take it to the next level, add a dash of cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle with paprika and serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
So now the secret is out. Horseradish is a condiment that doesn’t get the recognition it deserves, if you ask me. Believe it or not, horseradish can be used in so many dishes and Silver Spring Foods has a wide variety of horseradish, for whatever purpose you need. Horseradish the perfect way to add zing to your football entertaining or tailgating recipes and go from traditional to traditional with a twist. You’ll be surprised how much you’ll love it and how versatile it is.
I grew up eating my Aunt Rose’s homemade horseradish on gefilte fish. She added beets to give it a sweeter taste. It was so good; I could eat it with a spoon. Since she passed, I’ve searched high and low for something similar and finally found Silver Spring Foods Cranberry Horseradish. Yum! Imagine how great it would be with leftover turkey?!
Family-owned Silver Spring Foods is the world’s largest grower and processor of horseradish. If you haven’t tried it, now is the time to check them out.
*This post is sponsored by Silver Spring Foods, but all opinions are my own. This post may contain affiliate links which means if you click on it and make a purchase, our family may receive a small commission. As always, we appreciate your support!