This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Looking for an easy and delicious appetizer idea for your next party? While we love pigs in a blanket, it’s been done too may times. We started thinking of a twist on the classic appetizer recipe. Since our family could eat Italian food every night, we decided to put an Italian spin on it. These Italian pigs in a blanket will blow your mind. They taste a little like sausage or pepperoni pizza but are super flakey and very hard to resist!
While you can use the crescent dough that you find in the refrigerated section of your local grocery store, we like our pigs in a blanket to be extra flakey so we picked up the Pepperidge Farm puff pastry frozen sheets pastry dough from the freezer section. These sheets come in a box of 2 and are and are the same sheets we used for our fried oreo challenge. When you remove the sheets from the box, and thaw them, you’ll notice that they are folded into 3 pieces. Cut one of the sheets into 3 equal pieces (right where the fold line is). Then, cut each of those pieces directly down the middle, you will have 6 pieces that you will then be cutting diagonally, to form 12 triangles, similar to my photo below. Stay with me. I promise that isn’t as difficult as it sounds.
Next, you’re going to want to take your block of mozzarella cheese and slice it into thin rectangles, no larger than the top of the triangle and not too thick. Place a piece of cheese on each triangle, leaving about 1/4 inch on top.
For your sausage links, I found it easiest to purchase the fully cooked breakfast sausage links. If your store doesn’t carry them, or you prefer to cook them yourself, make sure you cook them prior to this step and you’ll want to make sure they are about the size of the top of the triangle.
Next, starting at the top of the triangle, roll the dough around the sausage and cheese and place each one on your parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Combine your melted butter, garlic and parsley and brush onto each pig in a blanket. This will give them a garlic bread flavor (SOOOO GOOD!). I also brush them once more when I take them out of the oven. That is totally optional though. Don’t forget to sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
My favorite part is the gooey cheese that oozes out while they bake. It gets a little brown on the edges and is SO yummy!Print
A twist on the traditional pigs in a blanket appetizer. This delicious finger food features italian sausage and mozzarella cheese, wrapped in a puff pastry and brushed with a garlic, parmesan and butter sauce. Serve with a side of marinara sauce.
- 1 pkg puff pastry sheets (cut into triangles)
- 1 block mozzarella cheese (sliced)
- 1 pkg fully cooked pork sausage links
- 4 tbsp butter (melted)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once your puff pastry sheets are thawed, cut one in half and then cut each piece diagonally to form 2 triangles. Repeat with 2 other sheets. You should have 12 triangles in total.
- Slice mozzarella cheese into small rectangles, no bigger than the top of your pastry triangle. Place each piece of cheese on top of each dough triangle. Place a full cooked sausage link on top of each piece of cheese.
- Starting from the thickest point, roll your dough completely around the cheese and sausage and place onto cookie sheet.
- Combine melted butter, minced garlic and chopped parsley in a small bowl. Brush mixture onto the top of each pig in a blanket and top with shredded parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes.
- Serve with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Italian
These Italian pigs in a blanket are perfect for your Super Bowl party or when you have guests over and need some finger foods. They never last long in our house so I often have to make double the recipe!
If you love pizza, you’ll love these Italian pigs in a blanket!