This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Before I share the recipe for one of the yummiest things we’ve ever put into our mouths, I have to tell you a little backstory. I am technically a food blogger, so you should have expected this. Back in January, we visited Legoland Florida for the first time. One of the highlights of that trip, was discovering Granny’s Apple Fries. We’ve been pretty obsessed with them since the first bite and wanted to try to recreate them at home.
I researched, I googled, I tried two different recipes that I found online that claimed to be Legoland Granny apple fries copycat recipes. And they were both huge failures. The apples shriveled up as soon as they hit the cold air. They were limp and soggy and not anything like we remembered. I tried cutting the apples thinner. I tried them thicker. I tried hotter temps, cooler temps. Nothing was working. I just wanted crispy apple fries because when you think of fries, you think crispy (though my kids did point out that their favorite McDonald’s fries are the soggy ones).
After a whole lot of brainstorming and trial and error, we fell back on something that seems to save the day for us on a regular basis… funnel cake batter. It worked wonders for our deep fried oreos and it was exactly what these apple fries needed.
Funnel cakes are the perfect crisp and tender inside and they can coat just about anything and taste delicious. So we dipped our apple sticks in the batter, fried and tossed in the cinnamon sugar mix. OMG… HEAVEN. I couldn’t make them fast enough. Every time I took a batch out of our little deep fryer, my kids would grab them. I was in the kitchen making these for hours, just so that I had enough to photograph.
Cinnamon Sugar Apple FriesPrint
Apples wrapped in crispy, fried dough and covered in cinnamon and sugar. Imagine an apple stuffed churro. It’s unlike anything you’ve ever eaten.
- 4–5 medium granny smith apples
- Funnel cake batter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- oil for frying
- Whipped Cream
- Powdered Sugar
- Caramel Dipping Sauce
- Mix sugars and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Make funnel cake batter according to our recipe.
- Add oil to a deep fryer or pan. You’ll need about 2 inches high in a pan or enough according to the instructions of your deep fryer. Heat to 375 degrees.
- Peel and slice apples like french fries. I highly recommend this french fry cutter. It makes the whole process super easy and quick.
- One by one, dip your apple sticks into the funnel cake batter. Shake off the excess.
- Drop into your heated oil and fry for 3-4 minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. You want them to be golden brown.
- Remove your apple fries and let sit on a paper towel/plate to soak up any excess oil.
- Coat in sugar mixture. Top with powdered sugar (optional).
- Serve warm with caramel dip and/or whipped cream.
Update 5/29/20: Realized that I forgot to add apples to the ingredients list. Oops! Also, after making these for the third time today, I cut the sugar/cinnamon ingredients in half. That should be plenty!
*This post may contain affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and make a purchase, our family may receive a small commission. As always, we appreciate your support!