This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Before we decided to cut meat from our diet, we, like most people, LOVED bacon. We would eat it as often as we could. Whether it was for breakfast, in a sandwich or even in ice cream, we never passed up an opportunity to eat bacon. So when we decided to transition into this new healthier lifestyle, we had to find a way to substitute our favorite food. So far, this vegetarian and vegan friendly zucchini bacon is my favorite!
We tried the packaged vegetarian bacon, some call it “fakin’ bacon.” And while it wasn’t bad, it also wasn’t something that I could see myself eating regularly. So I went on the hunt for new options. I love that zucchini bacon is made from veggies (something we can all use more of in our diet). And while zucchini bacon doesn’t taste exactly like bacon (if I’m being completely honest), it does taste really good and has a similar flavor.
The Zucchini Bacon Recipe
The zucchini bacon recipe is pretty simple. I do recommend marinating the zucchini overnight if you are able to. Also, if you have a kitchen tool that easily slices veggies, use it! I tried to cut the zucchini by hand and they were all different sizes and shapes. If you can get them more consistent, you will find a good flow once the zucchini slices are baking and you’ll know how long to keep them in the oven.
For the full zucchini bacon recipe, scroll down! This is great for sandwiches (Like our favorite Avocado sandwich). I would also eat this as a snack. I recommend making a big batch of zucchini bacon each time because of the amount of prep and cook time. Plus, once you start eating, it’s hard to stop.
Looking for a veggie alternative to bacon? This crispy zucchini with a smoky flavor is a great option!
- 2 Zucchini (thinly sliced)
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TBSP maple syrup
- 2 TBSP low sodium soy sauce
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- ½ TBSP liquid smoke
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Whisk together all ingredients (except zucchini).
- Place marinade in a sealable bag or container with lid and add slices of zucchini.
- Marinate zucchini for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place zucchini strips in a single layer.
- Bake for an hour, turn each slice over and repeat.
- When you have the desired consistency (soft or crunchy), remove from oven and enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast, Side Dish, Snack
- Cuisine: American
This vegan zucchini bacon is the perfect compliment to a plate of delicious french toast!
Have you ever tried zucchini bacon or have another recipe you’d like to share? Comment below and let me know!