There are many special memories I can share about my Nana. She was funny, brutally but necessarily honest, and had the most beautiful smile. And while I can go on and on about her to anyone that will listen (or read), I love to cook her favorite dishes so that my family remembers her through her recipes. Since it’s Yom Kippur, I want to share one of my favorite recipes, Nana’s Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Homemade Gravy.
Isn’t it funny how certain smells and tastes can instantly transport you back to childhood? I vividly remember coming home from school and knowing exactly what she was cooking by the aroma that filled the front foyer.
Sitting down at that small round table in her yellow and white wallpapered kitchen, I often asked for seconds because the meat was so tender and the gravy was so creamy. It tasted like home.
Once I became a Mom and she handed me the recipe, I adapted it quickly. I use our crock pot and add everything to the slow cooker in the morning, so our home can be filled with that yummy pot roast smell for the entire day.
My kids walk through the front door, and the look on their faces is almost exactly how I imagined I looked as a child. And I can only hope that as they have their own families, it becomes a family tradition that goes on and on, along with the memory of our incredible Nana.
While the recipe is very easy to follow, I want to mention that you shouldn’t skimp on the seasoning. This should be a large piece of beef brisket, so you should season accordingly. You can also use fresh, minced garlic if you are a garlic lover like Nana.
Slow Cooker Pot Roast With Homemade GravyPrint
One of our Nana's specialties, this beef brisket is tender and goes perfectly with the homemade gravy and potatoes.
- 3 lb beef brisket or pot roast
- 1 onion (cut length wise)
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 6 carrots (peeled and chopped into ½ inch pieces)
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 oz tomato sauce (canned)
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- 1 tbsp oil
- 8 small potatoes (chopped)
- 1 can water
- Add oil to pan on medium-high heat.
- Season meat with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Brown meat in pan, on all sides.
- Add carrots, potatoes, onions, bay leaf and green pepper to the slow cooker. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
- Add browned meat on top of your veggies in the slow cooker.
- Top with tomato sauce. Fill can with water and add to slow cooker.
- Cover and set to high for 4-6 hours. Then, you can turn to low until you're ready to eat.
- Remove meat, potatoes and half of the carrots.
- Put remaining veggies and sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour over meat and serve along side potatoes and carrots.
- Category: Main Course